Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Count Your Blessings Instead of Sheep

In the movie "White Christmas", Bing Crosby sings a song entitled "Couunt Your Blessings Instead of Sheep". Here are the lyrics to the song:

When I'm worried and I can't sleep
I count my blessings instead of sheep
And I fall asleep counting my blessings
When my bankroll is getting small
I think of when I had none at all
And I fall asleep counting my blessings

I think about a nursery and I picture curly heads
And one by one I count them as they slumber in their beds
If you're worried and you can't sleep
Just count your blessings instead of sheep
And you'll fall asleep counting your blessings

After hearing this song and reading the lyrics, I couldn't help but think that ol' Bing's got the right idea. How many times have you been so worried about something that you forget to think of all of the blessings that are in your life? Have you ever thought that your blessings certainly outweigh the all of the burdens that creep into our daily lives? It is so easy to dwell on the things that bring us down that we ultimately forget to thank the One who has blessed us far beyond our comprehension. In Ephesians 1:3, Paul writes, "Blessed be the God and Father our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ."  There are times that I am overwhelmed at how awesome scripture is. This verse is one of those verses that just makes me think, "Wow!" How amazing is that?! Since it is so important to count our blessings, I want to list a few of mine right now.


1. I am so blessed to be a Christian. Becoming a Christian was the most important decision I ever made and I have never once regretted it. Because of that decision, I know I have a hope of Heaven one day.
2. I am so blessed to have a faithful, Christian husband. Steven is the most amazing man I have ever met in my entire life. Each day he encourages me and loves me unconditionally. I fall more and more in love with him each day.
3. I am so blessed to have such a wonderful parents who love me and support me in everything I do.
4. I am so blessed to be working beside Steven with the most amazing youth group ever. I have never seen such a group of young people want to do so many good things. They all have a love for the Lord that shines through them in everything that they do. My cups is so full because of these special people.
5. I am so blessed to have such a wonderful church family. Our Central family means so much to us and provides us with endless encouragement and love.
6. I am so blessed to have the friends that I have. Although I don't get to see many of my close friends very often, it is so nice to know that they are always there when I need them.
7. I am so blessed to be able to teach a wonderful group of middle school and high school girls during our Sunday morning Bible class. I enjoy hearing their stories and teaching them the way the Bible says to live and not how the world wants them to live.

I know this list isn't very long, but these are just a few blessings that are very special to me. I encourage all of you to make a list of your own blessings. Keep it in your Bible or in a place where you can read it often. Also, don't forget what Bing Crosby said, "Just count your blessings instead of sheep!"

With love,
Kaycee

3 comments:

  1. Great thoughts! You are right. It is so easy to get caught up in the frenzy of living life that we forget just how blessed we really are. (Maybe we get spoiled?) Keep up the great blog...look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful thoughts, Kaycee! I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to reading your blog, Kaycee! I am so glad that you and Steven are so happy here. Thanks for all y'all do!!

    ReplyDelete